Applies to Platform: All Appliances
Updated on: 14 November 2016
This lesson introduces Disaster Recovery, an easy to use and reliable solution for the automatic on the fly recovery of a broken system. Using Disaster Recovery you can restore your system from a broken and unusable state and import the most recent backup and have again a working system.
Disaster Recovery always installs a specific version and upgrades or installs packages from the product’s channel. It also installs all the updates to make sure the system is up-to-date. Depending on the type of the appliance -Hardware, software, or virtual- the procedure differs, so please refer to the appropriate section of this howto.
- Disaster Recovery Image (see next section)
- Endian hardware Appliance target machine
- Recent backup (Current configuration and Include database dumps are to be selected when creating the backup).
Before Starting the Recovery
Before actually starting the recovery, it is necessary to carry out these steps:
1. Download the Disaster Recovery Image
The image file of Disaster Recovery can be downloaded from
2. Create the Disaster Recovery USB Flash Drive (Hardware Appliances)
Once you have downloaded the file, you need to create an Installation USB Flash Drive: see the Installation USB Flash Drive document for detailed information.
The procedure is the following:
- Make sure the machine boots from USB. If not, you may need to set the proper boot order via serial console. To change the boot order, please refer to this article ("Change Appliance's Boot Order and Reinstalling the System").
- Plug the Disaster Recovery USB Flash Drive into the target machine.
- Boot the target machine
- You will hear an accelerating acoustic signal which announces the start of disaster recovery
- After hearing this signal all data on your target machine will be erased as the system will be reinstalled from scratch
- Wait about 5 minutes for another acoustic signal, which notifies you about the end of the installation
- Note: if you do not hear the acoustic signals, see the "Troubleshooting" section.
- After the installation is finished, the appliance will automatically power off.
- Unplug the Disaster Recovery USB Flash Drive.
In the zip file that you downloaded from Endian Network are included Readme files containing detailed instructions for every hypervisor supported. Please refer to the appropriate Readme file to complete the disaster recovery procedure on your hypervisor.
Restore Backup on Appliance
After you restart the Appliance, you can import the backup from the GUI, by going under System > Backup.
- If you do not hear the acoustic signals please check the boot order or the USB Flash Drive integrity.
- Mark your Disaster Recovery USB Flash Drive as such and put it away. Booting from that USB Flash Drive does not ask before it erases and re-installs your system.
- During the installation, if you see the error
mount: can't find LABEL="rec_boot"press CTRL+ALT+CANC to reboot the appliance. Do not turn off the appliance! If the problem persists, please try with a different USB stick
What Disaster Recovery does not do
- Downgrade to an older version.
- Rollback an upgrade which had issues.
- Recover quarantine files, proxy caches, installable signatures.
- Recover customized scripts and templates.