Applies to platform: All UTM 3.0, except for ARM
Updated on: 13th June 2018
This document lists the requirements and shows the steps to successfully upgrade your Endian UTM Appliance from the 3.0.5 to the 5.0 version. Since the 5.0 is a 64bits release based on a new platform, to complete the upgrade it is mandatory to reinstall the operating system and therefore to schedule a period of downtime of the appliance, whose length depends on the services to restore and the type of appliance.
Warning for special setups
- If you have a 3.0 HA cluster that you want to migrate to 5.0, please open a ticket on the support portal
- Appliances with the Switchboard module installed can not be upgraded to 5.0 at the moment. Appropriate images will be released soon.
- If you have hotspots configured as Master and Satellites, it is mandatory that all the systems run the same software version and therefore be migrated at the same time. If you have such a setup, it is suggested to open a ticket with Endian support for directions.
UTM Appliances that can be upgraded
This is the full list of the UTM appliances that can be upgraded to EndianOS:
Mini 25, Mini 25 WiFi, Mercury 50, Mercury 100, Macro 250, Macro 500, Macro 1000, Macro 2500, Virtual, and Software.
For the following models: Mercury (2011 Edition), Macro X1 (2011 Edition) and Macro X2 (2011 Edition), the upgrade is available only if the serial number of the appliance is TSBxxxxxx.
To be able to upgrade to 5.0, it is mandatory to have:
- A full up-to-date Endian Appliance 3.0 or 3.0.5, with all packages updated to their latest version.
- A valid maintenance.
- A valid Endian Network account.
System Requirements for Virtual and Software UTM Appliances
The minimum requirements to upgrade to the 5.0 are the following:
- CPU Intel x86_64 compatible / 1GHz Minimum (Dual-core 2 GHz Recommended).
- Multi-Processor Symmetric Multi-Processor (SMP) support included.
- RAM 2GB minimum (4 GB recommended).
- Hard Disk 8GB Minimum (20 GB Recommended) Support for full virtualization and paravirtualization.
- CD-ROM Physical and virtual drives as supported by the hypervisor.
- Network Cards 2 Virtual NICs Minimum / Support for full virtualization and paravirtualization.
- Supported Hypervisors: Xen, Vmware, KVM, and Hyper-V.
The whole upgrade procedure is divided into two parts: A Preparation step and the Installation step.
The initial steps of the procedure are much like in the previous upgrades:
- Make a full update of the appliance, using the GUI (System > Updates) or issuing this command from the CLI:
root@endian:~ # efw-update upgrade
- If you have a virtual appliance, download a 3.0 ISO image to be used for disaster recovery, in case something goes wrong during the upgrade process. Images can be downloaded from https://download.endian.com/your-ac-code
- Make a full backup of the appliance, which can then be copied from the Endian appliance and saved in a safe place. This backup can be stored also for legal reasons, since it contains all of the data (configuration settings, database dump, all log files) present on the Endian appliance.
- Make a backup of the appliance which includes only the current settings and database dupms (options Current configuration and Include database dumps) and use this one as the backup to restore on the migrated appliance. This is suggested for several reasons: the whole procedure will bes quicker, since the least amount of data is being restored, resulting in shorter downtime, it will be less error-prone (in case the backup becomes corrupted for any reasons)
- (optional) If you have a virtual appliance, make a snapshot of the current state of the VM, to be restored if you experience problems during or after the installation.
- Switch the channel of the appliance on Endian Network from 3.0 to 5.0
NoteThe button will not show up in Endian Network, if the appliance is not eligible for the update or if there are updates to be installed.
- Download from the dedicated section on Endian Network the installation image corresponding to your model.
NoteIf you have a virtual or a software appliance, download the 5.0 image from http://download.endian.com/your-ac-code The 5.0 image will be available after you switch the channel on Endian Network.
- Burn the image on an USB stick. Please refer to this article for directions on how to create such a USB stick.
Once you downloaded the installation image, these are the steps to be followed:
- If you have a hardware appliance (Mini, Mercury, Macro), make sure you boot it from the USB drive. To make sure the boot order is correct, please follow this howto.
- Start the installation process normally.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
Reboot and Registration to Endian Network
After the successful installation, the appliance will reboot. At this point you should:
- Import the backup to your appliance. The system will be automatically registered and will show the new version in the GUI.
- Update the appliance with the latest availbale packages.
At this point you have a full up to date Appliance equipped with latest 5.0 version. Enjoy!