Applies to platform: UTM 2.5.X
Updated on: 30th of June 2014
This article introduces the requirements to upgrade the Endian UTM Appliances from the 2.5.X to the 3.0 release and the necessary requirements. Please read carefully this document before starting the actual upgrade!
There are two possible methods to proceed with the upgrade.
- The first one is very similar to the one for the 2.4 to the 2.5 upgrade, which makes use of Endian Network ("Upgrade via Endian Network"), and can be found here. This is suitable for all Endian appliances, but is the recommended one for the ARM-based one.
- The second one makes use of an USB image ("Upgrade via image installation")and is the recommended one for Intel-based (x86) appliances. It can be found here. This method should not be used on ARM-based appliances.
There is also a troubleshooting document in the unlikely case you find some problem during the upgrade.
To be eligible for an upgrade, you should have:
- a supported and eligible appliance, registered on Endian Network (see below)
- A valid Endian Network account.
- A full backup of the Appliance's settings
- Physical access to the Appliance and/or access via serial console.
The minimum and recommended hardware requirements are:
- Memory: 512MB Minimum (1 GB Recommended)
- CPU: 1GHz Minimum (Dual-core 2 GHz Recommended)
- Disk: 8GB Minimum (20 GB Recommended)
Endian UTM 3.0 release is currently available for the following Appliances: New Mini, Mercury and Mercury 50, Macro X1, Macro X2, Macro R1, Macro R2, Endian UTM Software, and Endian UTM Virtual.
Mini Series hardware appliances will have the new software on board starting late February 2014.
All hardware appliances purchased before 2010, currently in End of Life, do not support the new release. The following table shows which appliances are NOT eligible. If the serial number of your Endian UTM Appliance begins with one of these strings, you are not eligible for upgrade.
|Not v3.0 upgradable hardware appliances|
|Mini||Mercury||Macro X Series|
Important News of the 3.0 release
Being a major release, the 3.0 features a lots of improvements. The most relevant news of the 3.0 release are related to the new modules available.
Sophos and Cyren (former Commtouch)
These two modules will be migrated to the new Advanced Content Security Suite, which includes Panda Anti-Virus (which replaces Sophos, no longer offered on Endian Appliances), Cyren (former Commtouch) Anti-Spam, and Commtouch URL Filter.
With Endian UTM 3.0 the web filtering system has been completely rebuilt to optimize performance and efficiency and now utilizes a solution based on ICAP (Internet Content and Adaptation Protocol) that can do virus and URL inspection in parallel resulting in a 200% performance improvement.
In case you encounter serious problems with your system, you can proceed with the disaster recovery procedure, different for ARM-based and Intel-based appliances:
- For ARM-based appliances, it is the same as the 2.5 one, than can be found here.
- For Intel-based appliances, the recovery procedure corresponds to the "Upgrade via image installation" procedure that can be found here.
And if there is no beeps, the appliance display sowhs "Network Appliance" and the disk work... What we have to do?