Applies to platform: Any device running Android, except ICS 4.X.X.
This lesson describes how to connect a smartphone or tablet device with Android to an existent and running IPsec installation on the Endian UTM Appliance using PSK (password) authentication.
The connection via L2TP/IPsec requires the following data, that should have been previously configured on the Endian's VPN > IPsec section:
- The IP address or hostname of the Endian UTM appliance where IPsec runs.
- The PSK secret, i.e., the password of the IPSsec tunnel, that can be retrieved under Menubar > VPN > IPsec, by clicking on the Edit icon next to the connection, and then looking in the Authentication box.
- The username and password of the L2TP user. The username is retrievable from Menubar > VPN > VPN users, and the user must be allowed to use L2TP.
You should write the above mentioned data down or remember it, since you will have to enter them in the corresponding configuration sections of your device.
Setup of a VPN connection to the Endian UTM Appliance
Go under Settings and click on Search button, which is the magnifying glass icon.
Type vpn into the search field, then tap on VPN voice under the result list.
Tap VPN again.
Tap on "+" icon to add a new VPN.
Here, tapping on each of the fields, you can enter the data you have written down earlier as follows:
- Name: the name to identify the connection, at your will.
- Type: Select L2TP/IPSec PSK.
- Server address: The IP address or hostname of the VPN Server.
- IPSec pre-shared key. The PSK secret as configured on Endian UTM Appliance.
- Username: type IPsec username as configured on Endian UTM Appliance.
- Password: type IPsec password as configured on Endian UTM Appliance.
The connection is now set up. To start using it, just tap on the connection's name (Acme, Inc in our example) to open the following screen:
- Enter your username.
- Enter your password.
- For your convenience. you can tick Save account information, so you won't be asked for it every time.
- Select Connect.
Connected will appear under VPN profile name, and it means the connection has been successfully established.