Applies to platform: Any device running iOS.
This lesson describes how to connect a smartphone or tablet device to an existent and running IPsec installation on the Endian UTM appliances using PSK (password) authentication.
The connection via L2TP/IPsec requires the following data, that should have been previously configured on the VPN/IPsec server:
- The IP address or hostname of the L2TP/IPsec server (i.e., of the Endian UTM appliances where the IPsec server runs).
- The PSK secret, i.e., the password of the IPSsec tunnel, that can be retrieved under Menubar > VPN > IPsec, by clicking on the Edit icon next to the connection, and then looking in the Authentication box.
- The username and password of the L2TP user. The username is retrievable from Menubar > VPN > Authentication, and the user must be allowed to use L2TP.
You should write the above mentioned data down or remember it, since you will have to enter them in the corresponding configuration sections of your device.
Setup of a VPN connection to the Endian UTM Appliance
To configure your Apple device, e.g., iPhone or iPad, you need first to go under Settings > General > VPN, then tap on Add VPN connection.
In the configuration window for the VPN connection, carry out the following operations:
- Select L2TP as Type.
- Enter a custom description for the connection. This is the name that will be displayed in the list of available VPN connections.
- Enter the IP address or hostname next to Server.
- Tap on Account and enter your username.
- If you want to store your password on the device, tap Password and enter your password.
- Tap Secret and enter your PSK Secret.
When the configuration has been ended, in the VPN menu, slide to ON the VPN switch to start the connection.